The Destination Employment program now has a dedicated online space to help connect newcomers with hotel employment and hoteliers with job seekers. Tourism HR Canada and the Hotel Association of Canada, together with regional delivery partners, are delighted to announce this new microsite, destinationemployment.ca.
Launched last year in five regions across the country, the three-year pilot program provides skills and language training to newcomers to Canada, while also offering onboarding and mentorship resources to hoteliers.
Properties in Yukon, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Ontario, and Atlantic Canada who have joined the program are finding skilled staff to fill ongoing job vacancies resulting from a national labour shortage. Newcomers, including refugees, who have completed the training are finding rewarding employment in supportive workplaces.
Available in both English and French, the website features fresh graphics and user-friendly navigation. Visitors to the site will find:
- A clear overview of program benefits and the application process
- Details on where the program is offered and by whom
- Career profiles and pathways for numerous accommodations positions
- Success stories from program participants—newcomers and employers
- Videos highlighting the careers of successful tourism professionals from diverse backgrounds
- FAQs and an online contact form to connect with the appropriate regional delivery partner
Also launched was a brand new success story featuring Destination Employment graduate Mary Grace Ordaniel of Dawson City, Yukon. Originally from the Philippines, she is pursuing a hospitality career at the Eldorado Hotel. She joins program grads from Toronto and Halifax in sharing how the Destination Employment program has helped set them on the path to achieving their goals in Canada.
Watch Mary Grace’s story here.
(Regardez la vidéo française ici.)
Another Yukon success story will be released in the coming weeks. Sign up for Tourism HR Insider to be the first to know.